Growing up in Karachi, Pakistan, Fahad Ahmad and Syed Mishaal Raza didn’t cross paths until 2006 after they’d both moved to Canada, where the burgeoning electronic music scene and a common love of techno brought them together.
Since then, their brand of brooding, driving, beautifully dark minimal techno as Subfractal has reached international audiences through releases on Harthouse, Excentric Muzik, Sleaze Records, Bosphorus Underground, Respekt Recordings, Frequenza, Brood Audio, CODE, Piso Records, Klimaks, Airbus, Teggno, Inminimax and others.
In 2009, their remix of Larry Power’s ‘Milk’ spent over six weeks in the highly coveted #1 spot on the Beatport Minimal Charts, and they’ve been appearing in Beatport Top 100 Techno ever since.
Acclaimed performances at WMC, DEMF, and clubs around the world have seen Subfractal rip dance floors apart with their showcase of booming dark and heavy techno.
They chose a few tracks from the set to highlight. Full tracklist below.
Stephan Bodzin & Marc Romboy – Puck (Chris Liebing Remix) [Systematic Recordings]
The original ‘Puck’ was released a few years back and was the perfect ‘tool’ to have. We played it out quite a lot back in 2007. This remix by Chris Liebing dynamically enhances the whole feel of the track and sounds absolutely monstrous on the big system.
Slam – Collecting Data (Sasha Carassi Remix) [Paragraph]
This remix is by my good friend Sasha Carassi who has been rocking it as of recent with releases on huge imprints such as Drumcode, Harthouse and the like. Being huge supporters of the legendary duo Slam, this remix definitely hit all the right notes and took the fluid melody of the original and manipulated it perfectly into a big room, bass heavy techno track.
Spektre & Subfractal – Turista (Jerome Sydenham Remix) [Sleaze Records UK]
The original was written in a studio session while Rich (from Spektre) was visiting Toronto last year. We quickly made the grooves in the time that we had and then started sequencing while the Spektre guys were on tour. This particular remix by Jerome Sydenham is quite haunting to say the least and has taken our original to the next level by providing a hypnotic journey and by adding his masterful touch.
Shane Silver – Flesh Suit (Original Mix) [Brood Audio]
I was very surprised to learn that Shane is just 17 years old! His talent is immense and this record shows his versatility as a producer diving into the darker side of things and layering it on top of subliminal hooks. This record came out a few months back on my mate Erphun’s label Brood Audio.
Subfractal – Out Of Control (Original Mix) [Harthouse]
One of our own productions catered for the late afterhours vibe. This was one record that changed 4-5 times before coming together in the form it was released! Although it was the B-Side of our EP, it picked up plenty of support from the guys from Pan-Pot. In short, it’s a dark, gloomy, late night techno track which is just how we like it.
01. Perc & Metalogic – M Cargo – Original Mix [Sleaze]
02. Lucy & Xhin – LX2 – Original Mix [CLR]
03. Stephan Bodzin & Marc Romboy – Puck (Chris Liebing Remix) [Systematic Recordings]
04. Attemporal – Wall (Ascion & D. Carbone Remix) [Brood Audio]
05. Slam – Collecting Data (Sasha Carassi Remix) [Paragraph]
06. Spektre & Subfractal – Turista (Jerome Sydenham Remix) [Sleaze]
07. ASIO – Minimize Me (Steve Parker Remix) [Synewave]
08. Shane Silver – Flesh Suit (Original Mix) [Brood Audio]
09. Marco Asoleda & D’Jamency – Bordeaux’s Trip (Audio Injection Remix) [Amazone Records]
10. Hans Bouffmyhre – Brain Disease (Original Mix) [Sleaze]
11. Subfractal – Out Of Control (Original Mix) [Harthouse]
12. Alan Fitzpatrick – Tinitus (Original Mix) [Drumcode]
13. Cisco Arias – Ghurba (Subfractal Remix) [SPARK MUSIK]
14. Erphun – Black Heart (Alberto Pascual Remix) [Brood Audio]
15. Sesimal D & Simone LP – Fallagrossa (Audio Injection Remix) [CODE]